Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Tasty meal for health conscious people on the go

I did an experiment and it turned out rather well... It may be a little spicy for some people so if you don't do spicy it might not be for you. I eat usually 6-7 times a day, so I am 1. constantly looking for creative and inexpensive meals I can eat while I am out and about. 2. trying to find meals that will deliver high volumes of protein, have a limited impact on my insulin levels, and stay within a frame of 300-400 calories. Here is one such experiment purchased at my local grocery store (Scnhuck's in this example).
We will call this experiment "Spicy Smoked Salmon Wrap"
I purchased:
1 bag of 6 Tomato/Basil Whole Wheat Tortillas $3.29/6 = $.55
1 pouch of Chicken of the Sea Premium Smoked Pacific Salmon 2/$5.00=$2.50
1 container of feshly chopped pico de gallo ingredients (diced tomatoes, red onions, jalapenos, and cilantro) I used 1/5 of a container approximately $2.49/5=$.50

Basically, I flaked the salmon unto the wrap and spooned about 1/5 of my pico de gallo over it and rolled it up. I ate a complete and balanced dinner for about $3.55 plus tax and it was pretty tasty too. There are many things you could do to the wrap to add flavor or texture to it. For example you could spread hummus over the tortilla first or pesto or an olive spread. I also tried flaking grilled tuna steak on the tortilla and adding shredded cheese. heating it until the cheese melted in a microwave and then scooping the pico de gallo on. It made something akin to a tuna melt wrap. That was pretty good as well. If you come up with some other tasty healthy creations of your own that are simple to make I would love to hear about them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your IQ Is 130
Your Logical Intelligence is Genius
Your Verbal Intelligence is Genius
Your Mathematical Intelligence is Genius
Your General Knowledge is Above Average
A Quick and Dirty IQ Test